Bookmark and Share Search | Bookmark Site | SnapAdmin TSX.V: CWM
 

IN THIS SECTION ...

California Projects
» Superior Project Description
» Aerial View of Lights Creek deposits
» History of California Engels Mining      Company
» Abigail Stephens Thesis On Light Creek
» Photo Gallery
» Copper Information

Nevada Projects
» Black Warrior
» Photo Gallery

Ontario Projects
» Mckenzie Island
» Photo Gallery


Email Page PDF Page Print Page

SUPERIOR PROJECT DESCRIPTION

The Superior copper project is located in Plumas County, California, 167 km northwest of Reno, Nevada. The project consists of 132 unpatented claims and 36 patented claims that contain the old producing Engels and Superior copper mines as well as numerous early stage copper targets.

General Geology:

Although the exact nature of the copper mineralization at the Project is not fully understood,it appears to be porphyry related (possibly similar in age to the Yerington deposit), and is very muchstructurally controlled. Previous exploration and/or production has been focused on three targets (i.e.Superior, Engles and Moonlight Valley), but soil geochemistry and limited reconnaissance has identifiedseveral other early stage targets including Sulfide Ridge, Copper Mountain and Blue Copper. Of these,Sulfide Ridge is particularly interesting, due to its strike length and the strength of the copper in soil anomaly.

The Superior mine, which is located entirely on patented claims, is an advanced exploration target andformer producer. It consists of approximately six northerly trending, east dipping high-grade coppersulfide bearing veins that were mined in the past. Copper sulfide mineralization (bornite andchalcopyrite) is however not totally restricted to the previously mined veins, and sufficientdisseminated, veinlet -controlled and stockwork mineralization exists between the larger veins to justifylooking at this prospect as either an underground or open pit bulk mineable target. Current non- NI 43-101 compliant resources total 43 million tons averaging 0.56% Cu.

Although the Superior mine lies within a northerly trending structural corridor, the previously completedsoil geochemical survey defines a circular copper and gold anomaly. The Superior target appears toremain open, to some extent, both north and south of the underground workings, and possibly at depth.

The Engels mine, which is located entirely on patented claims, was an important historical producer ofhigh grade (>1.0%) copper ore. The copper mineralization is thought to be controlled by a poorlydefined northeast trending, steeply east dipping structural zone several 10's of metres in width. Mixedoxide-sulfide copper mineralization, which is locally high grade, reportedly extends to depths as great as656' (200 m) from the surface, and Nevoro reported that an oxide resource of 5.85 million tons averaging 1-0.80% Cu is present. At depth {>500 m}, high grade copper sulfide mineralization has been encountered in previous underground exploration core holes.

HISTORY

The earliest recorded copper production from Plumas County was in 1863-64 from the Reward Mine, about 10 miles south of the Engels Mine. Copper was first discovered in the Lights Creek area by Henry Engels and his son, who in 1885 discovered what was to become the Engels and Superior Mines. Operations began in 1890 and continued to 1930 with the main period of operation between 1915 and 1930. After the dramatic fall in the copper price in response to the Depression, operations were suspended in 1930. The Engels and Superior Mines have reported joint production of about 161.5 million pounds of copper, 23,000 ounces of gold and 1.9 million ounces of silver recovered from 4.7 million tons of ore between 1914 and 1930. (Lamb, 2006) Mill recovery averaged about 80% during this period of operation, indicating a feed grade of about 2.2% copper and 0.5opt Ag and 0.005 opt Au. The main years of production at the Walker mine were from 1918 to 1931 and from 1935-41. (Placer Amex, 1972) The Walker Mine is reported to have produced about 168 million pounds of copper, 180,000 ounces of gold and 3.6 million ounces of silver from 5.3 million tons of ore from 1916-1941.

Since 1930 activity in the Lights Creek District has largely been limited to exploration. Newmont looked at the area in 1953-54 and Phelps Dodge conducted some investigation in the early 1960s. Lessees mined a few thousand tons of ore from the Superior in the early 1960s. These railroad cars of ore were shipped directly to the smelter and often ran more than 10 % Cu and 4 opt Ag.

In 1961 Amex (predecessor to Placer Amex, Placer Dome, Barrick) decided to pursue a general investigation of the Lights Creek District. Reconnaissance surveys were made in 1962-63 and extensive stream sediment and soil sampling surveys were conducted in 1964-65. The Superior, Moonlight Valley, Sulfide Ridge, Engels Mine, Warren Creek and Blue Copper areas all showed plus 1000 ppm Cu anomalies in soils.

Amex signed a sublease on the California-Engels property in July 1964 and began drilling at the Superior in September 1964. This drilling indicated a considerable tonnage of low-grade disseminated copper. The first hole in the Sulfide Ridge soil geochem anomaly was drilled in December 1964 and the first claims in Moonlight Valley were staked in December 1964. The first holes in the Engels Mine and Warren Creek anomalies were drilled in September and October 1965.

The first drill hole (ML-1) was completed at Moonlight in August 1966 and showed encouraging amounts of disseminated bornite in the top 220 feet of the hole. The underground sampling program at the Superior was completed and the first drill hole in the Blue Copper anomaly was completed in October 1966. The land position in Moonlight Valley had been enlarged by the end of 1966 and drilling had indicated a major low-grade disseminated copper deposit.

Drilling at Superior was completed in January 1967 and drilling continued throughout 1967 at Moonlight with up to 11 drill rigs running on the project. A total of 142,093 ft of core and 3550 ft of rotary drilling had been completed in the Lights Creek district by the end of 1967.

Drilling continued in 1968, 1969 and 1970. Preliminary metallurgical investigations were begun and the first of many deposit modelling and economic evaluations was begun in 1968. Computer models, a resource estimate, economic evaluation and a summary report were completed in February 1972.

Expenditures on the property were reduced and work was largely limited to that necessary to hold the claims through assessment work after 1972. After Placer merged with Dome Mines in 1987 the company began to focus its exploration efforts almost strictly on gold. The company’s interest in the Moonlight project waned even further. Placer Amex abandoned the property in 1994.

In April 2006 Sheffield optioned the California-Engels land consisting of about 894 acres of deeded land covering the historic Engels and Superior Mines.

Sheffield began drilling to confirm and enhance the previously indicated historical resource at Moonlight Valley in December 2005. 1838 feet (560m) of HQ core drilling was completed in 2005. 9298 feet (2834m) was completed in 2006. 7618 (2322m)feet of core drilling were completed at Engels and 1410 feet (430m)of RC drilling were completed at Moonlight in 2007. Sheffield completed 1652 (504m)feet of core drilling at Engels in May and June of 2008.

A 65,000 acre forest fire burned through the entire Moonlight Project area in early September 2007. Fortunately, there was no loss to the contractor’s drilling equipment. The fire did have a major impact on the vegetative and wildlife ecosystems of the project area.

Sheffield Resources was acquired by Nevoro Gold in July 2008. Nevoro completed 2418 feet (737m)of core drilling at Engels and 2603 feet (793m)of core drilling at Moonlight from August to November 2008.

Nevoro was acquired by Starfield Resources in 2009. Starfield drilled 7 holes at Engels in 2009/10 and commissioned an airborne survey but stopped work on the project due to financial constraints. In 2011 Starfield dropped all claims surrounding the Moonlight deposit in order to reduce their carrying costs but retained the Superior and Engels mining claims and immediate area.

In June of 2013 Crown Gold bought Starfieldsremaining interests in the area which included the leases for the old Superior and Engels mines as well as the Sulfide Ridge deposit.

Property Photos

Click here to visit our photo gallery.

Home Disclaimer SnapAdmin Search Bookmark Site
Crown Gold Corporation © 2010 | Powered by www.RMC.mobi